A cornerstone of Dr Westerman's PhD research has been the development of a number of unique psychometric tests for Aboriginal people. These tests in being developed specifically for Aboriginal people are unique in the Aboriginal mental health and cultural competency fields. All tests were developed based upon a focus group format in which Aboriginal people were able to contribute to the item pool. From there, IPS have then undertaken statistical validation of these tools to ensure that they are both scientifically and culturally valid.
Aboriginal Mental Health Tests which are currently available at IPS include:
- The Westerman Aboriginal Symptom Checklist - Youth (WASC-Y: Westerman, 2003) which was cited by Canadian Health as being a "substantial contribution" to the field of Aboriginal youth suicide,
- The Westerman Aboriginal Symptom Checklist for Adults (WASC-A: Westerman, 2011)
Cultural Competency Tests Include:
- The Aboriginal Mental Health Cultural Competency Profile (CCP: Westerman, 2003)
- The General Cultural Competency Profile (GCCP: Westerman, 2011)
- The Cultural Needs Scale (CNS: Westerman, 2011)
Additional Tests Available in 2017 will include:
- The Acculturation Scale for Aboriginal Australians (ASAA: Westerman, 2003)
- The Acculturative Stress Scale for Aboriginal Australians (ASSAA: Westerman, 2003)
These tests will be available on-line and will provide automated analysis of client results.